Tuesday, August 14, 2007

God Has A WICKED Sense Of Humor!

Guys, it is so obvious to me that God is a joker and enjoys having a laugh at my expense.

Case in point........

Today, my Dad called me at my desk and asked me if I wanted to head out to the mall during lunch. Curious, I asked what his intentions were and he said that he wanted to go to the Apple Store and ask a couple of questions before he bought my iMac online. I agreed to tag along thinking that it would be a fun way to spend my lunch hour, and it was for the most part. However, there was just this teensy-weensy little situation that came up that made me EXTREMELY uncomfortable on the way over to the mall.

So I am in the car with my Dad...just chilling and enjoying the typical semi-comfortable silence. My Dad has never really been what you would call a 'conversationalist'....I mean at least with me and Mom, so this was not a rare occurrence. Anywho, I was kinda spacing out, thinking about a variety of unrelated topics....the computer........my trip to Orlando next week......these new Lanvin sneakers that I just saw in the Sept 07 Details magazine that just came in last night............and of course.....................GUYS!

(Is anyone really surprised with the last one.........HAHA.........didn't think so)

Well, I spaced out just far enough not to realize the next song that came up on the radio. You see, my pops likes to listen to all that old man, geriatric, Lite FM foolishness so I usually tune it out, but not this time!

Guys, what song was playing?

Of ALLLLLL the songs on the planet to play....and of ALLLLLL times of the day to play it..............

Flippin........ 'I Am Coming Out' by Diana Ross

God....Why must you mock me so?!?!?!
*shakes fist in air*

Can you think of a more uncomfortable, utterly unsettling song to pop up....as a closeted guy riding in the car with you Dad? I mean honestly, if you can find one...please let me know.

For those of you not familiar with is little gem (sarcasm) let me share some of the chorus with you.

I'm coming out
I want the world to know
Got to let it show
I'm coming out

Oh oh oh....lets not forget the first verse.........

There's a new me coming out
And I just had to live
And I wanna give
I'm completely positive
I think this time around
I am gonna do it
Like you never do it
Like you never knew it
Ooh, I'll make it through
The time has come for me
To break out of the shell
I have to shout
That I'm coming out

To be totally honest...I was so terribly uncomfortable and embarrassed but I doubt that my dad even noticed the song was on. Moreover, when it kept on playing...I had to truthfully stop myself from totally cracking up at my predicament. I mean look at me, a 22 year old closeted gay guy...totally terrified about anyone finding out about my secret...sitting no less than 3 feet from my Pops....while Diana Ross screams at the top of her lungs that she is coming out. You really just have to laugh.

The only thing that could have made the scene any more hilarious would have been if the A/C vents started spewing out glitter....and cabin lighting started going all strobe-lighty on me.

God is hilarious.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Things like this make me sooooo uncomfortable at times... you can either turn the radio station, sing along, or just ignore it like you did. Isn't it strange how God plays with us at times and how a song can make you feel so uncomfortable?

Matt in Argyle said...

Got to be honest, I was laughing my head off thinking of that situation. I'm sure at the time it was uncomfortable, but still got to love god's little tricks! With my dad we just stick to the rock station, so no Diana.

DB said...

Only could have been better if it were It's Raining Men.

Dan said...

Miss Ross was trying to give you a message... It's time to come out!

Travis said...

LOL!

Why/When are you coming to my neck of the woods? ;)