Wednesday, February 20, 2008

So I Came Out Tonight....

It was cool....

It was painless....

And I am really happy about it...

Ok, storytime.....

So last week I got this really weird call from an unknown phone number with my old area code. I figured it was someone who I used to talk to, but had lost the number for. I just let it go to voicemail like I usually do with unknown numbers...as I make it a point to never pick them up...curiosity be damned. I figured that if it is really something important then that individual will just leave me a message.....

Well to my surprise, the mystery person left a voicemail and it turned out to be one of my best friends from HS! We were in student government together and she was always my favorite senator. We used to RUN SHIT back in the day, no joke! Anyways...we kept relatively close after graduation but she went to Michigan while I went to UF and we only really saw each other during Winter Breaks and such.

Anyways, she called me to tell me that she was moving to NYC this week to try her hand at Broadway and I seriously couldn't have been more excited. Honestly...next to Columbia Girl (who she is actually really good friends with as well) she is pretty much one of the coolest chicks I know. A totally genuine person, I knew that she wouldn't have a problem with me being gay. She is super liberal, open-minded...and cool with just about anything. I called Columbia Girl last week to tell her that (let's call her Miss Michigan) was moving into town and she flipped her wig. She immediately told me that I should come out to her because she would be so cool with it and I totally co-signed.

So tonight we all meet up for dinner and did the whole "3+ year" catching up thing. It was fun to hear what new and exciting things were going on in her life and it was also great to hear how well her brothers and sisters were doing for themselves. Finally, she turned to me and Columbia Girl and asked us the inevitable question everyone asks when they are catching up with someone they haven't seen in ages......"soooo how are your love lives going...anyone special that I should know about?!?!"

Me and Columbia Girl just looked at each other and started cracking up. This left Miss Michigan understandably confused...and that's when the real hilarity ensued......

Miss Michigan: OMG what is so funny? Did I miss something?
Me & Columbia Girl: HAHAHA....no, no, no it is nothing
Miss Michigan: NOOO WAYY...It is something alright.....OMG ARE U GUYS DATING?!?!?!
Me & Columbia Girl: {insert wild cackling}
Miss Michigan: OMG YOU TOO ARE TOTALLY SHACKING UP!
Me: Oh no...nothing could be further from the truth bb
Columbia Girl: She thinks we are hittin it....LOL!!!!!
Me: LMFAO!
Miss Michigan: OMG GUYS...WHATS GOING ON?!?!?!?
Columbia Girl: There is no one in my love life hun.
Me: Yea....me either
Miss Michigan: LIARS!
Columbia Girl: {looks over to me} GO 'HEAD...Tell her about the Aussie!

Aside: "The Aussie" and Mr. Elevator are one in the same. Columbia Girl likes to refer to him as that since I told her the story about him.

Me: LOL! That doesn't count...he is so random...way to stir shit up!
Columbia Girl: {giggling}
Miss Michigan: Who is the Aussie?
Me: Wellllllllllllll, he is this guy that we aren't too sure about. He is kinda ambiguous.

~ 5 second delay ~

Miss Michigan: Wait what.....I don't get it
Me: Let it marinate in your head for a second.....
Columbia Girl: {giggles} OMG, It is gonna hit her like a ton of bricks...
Miss Michigan: What is gonna hit me? Why can't I be in on this joke....gosh!
Me: It's totally gonna make sense in a second....just let it simmer.
Miss Michigan: What are you talki........Wait, did you say HE?
Columbia Girl: Here she goes......
Me: HEHE
Miss Michigan: Wait Wait Wait Wait....you said he right....{turns to Columbia Girl} he said he right?
Columbia Girl: Yup!
Miss Michigan: So wait....you're gay?
Me: {nods}
Miss Michigan: Oh wowwwwwwwwww
Columbia Girl: Be thankful, you are like only the second or so to know!
Miss Michigan: Seriously?
Me: Yep...I'm not really out yet.
Miss Michigan: OMG WOW....THAT'S CRAZY!
Me: Kinda...I guess....I'm kinda used to it though
Miss Michigan: You mean....this whole time....that I've known you?
Me: Yeap.....I've always known.....just started being honest with it
Miss Michigan: OMG WELL CONGRATS....GOOD FOR YOU!
Columbia Girl: I KNOW RIGHT?
Me: HAHA
Miss Michigan: K, if you're happy then I'm happy!
Me: I am...I am
Miss Michigan: OMG! {clasps hands} SHUT UP....YOU'RE GAY?!?!
Me: Well I dunno if I am "that Gay" LMAO!
Columbia Girl: HAHAHAHA
Miss Michigan: This totally doesn't change a thing....we can all go out in the city looking for men now!
Columbia Girl: THAT'S WHAT I SAID!
Me: I am putting you girls to W-O-R-K!
Miss Michigan: I'm So there...and don't worry, you're secret is safe with me!
Me: I know...I hope so
Miss Michigan: OMG...NO QUESTION...I would never!
Me: Better not....if all South Florida finds out I'll know it was you because she aint talking {points to Columbia Girl}
Columbia Girl: She's cool with it man...no worries!
Miss Michigan: Absolutely no worries over here friend!
Me: Cool, Cool
Columbia Girl: So did you ever think?
Miss Michigan: I HAD NO IDEA....I NEVER EVEN IMAGINED
Me: Really?
Miss Michigan: Seriously....there are so many other guys I would have picked before you.....you have NO IDEA.
Me: Seriously?
Miss Michigan: I mean....I just though you were just the typical metro kinda guy
Columbia Girl: OMG THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID WHEN HE TOLD ME!
Miss Michigan: YOU KNOW! Now that I think about it.....I guess I should have wondered....
Me: Looks like this is becoming a theme....
Miss Michigan: I could just have bad gaydar tho....I fell for a gay guy in London.....I thought he was just really ~*EURO*~
Me: LOLOLOLOL...you're ridiculous!
Columbia Girl: HAHA
Me: We will help each other with our gaydars...don't worry bb!
Miss Michigan: OMG how much more fun are we gonna have now? We are totally going out!
Columbia Girl: I'm so there!
Me: Score!

So this went on for a while longer. We talked about a bunch more stuff like coming out to the parents and dating....typical Q&A session that most of us are familiar with now. She even joked a bit that now she wouldn't be able to fulfill her dream of marrying me and having a bunch of beautiful mixed bb's...LOL! All and all it was really relieving to know that I've got another supportive person in my corner. I am definitely happy that it worked out so well and I don't anticipate any problems with her...she is totally a cool chick and she will make another great addition to my growing entourage...LMFAO!

Now if I could only find the nerve to tell my straight guy friends....that would be grand! For whatever reason, it always seems harder to tell a guy that your gay than a girl. Although if you think about it, if they are really and truly your good friends, it shouldn't make a difference.

In due time....baby steps...

11 comments:

Closeted said...

She sounds great, CONGRATS...once again.

JUSTIN said...

Woot! Congrats again buddy!

Troystopher said...

You post just put the biggest smile on my face! :0)

I love how you write the events of you life, I felt like i was sitting there seeing her reaction.

And K... you are soooooooooo GAY!

HaHa, Just Kidding!!!

::HUG::

Matt in Argyle said...

YAY K!!! Way to go!!

Also, I've been thinking. From now on I think I'll refer to you as Special K. No real reason for this, just as I'm writing this, there is a box of the stuff like 2ft away from me. soooo
Yay Special K!!!

Mike said...

Congratulations on coming out!!!

B said...

Way to go K!

(((Hug)))

Mr. X said...

congrats!!! it's always nice to hear about such a great coming out!

jay said...

With regards to the coming out to boys, I would say it's very person specific. Some of my guy friends knew before some of my girl friends.

Creative Thinker said...

Way to go buddy... Isn't is GREAT to have cool friends that love you no matter what? I think you will find that that will be the case more often than not. I am proud of you -- big hug!

dit said...

Brilliant! Congratulations. It only get easier. Trust me.

I love this line "Me: Yeap.....I've always known.....just started being honest with it" what a wonderful way of saying it.

You are so right, if they truly are your friends, they will be no matter who you fall in love with.

Unknown said...

you don't know me from adam, but when i was coming out the girls were easy to come out to, but my straight guy friends ended up being very cool with it... i have been fortunate not to loose any of them... because, like you said... if they are your true friends, they will just brush it off... and if you are like me... still go out with them to the straight bars, they will ogle at the big breasted girls and you can watch all the other straight guys... there are hot guys in sports bars... nice eye candy... then if you want to hook up... go to gay bar or home on the computer... sorry for the long comment... nice blog... look forward to reading it more... (kellystern.net)