Monday, July 23, 2007

If Its On Facebook....It's Official

First off let me say that I had effectively pried myself from the death grip of Facebook for about 2 years, until about 2 weeks ago, when I got sucked back into it's evil vortex........

I remember when it first came out Spring semester of my freshman year at UF. It was so new and exciting.....I spent HOURS on that bitch. H-O-U-R-S! It was (and still is) a internet-based version of crack in my opinion and I'm pretty sure that my grades that semester suffered for it. However, it's water under the bridge now.

In all honesty, I can see the merits of Facebook...and Myspace (which is even MORE evil IMHO). I mean, I suppose it keeps you connected to people that you don't normally associate with everyday, and its also a way to catch up with people from your past. But, there is a dark side.......................

FACEBOOK STALKING!!!!!!


I confess, I'm totally guilty of this................

BUT DON'T DARE JUDGE ME....BECAUSE YOU KNOW YOU DO IT TOO!!!!!

< points at you >

HAHA.......Anyways, late Sunday night (or more accurately, early Monday morning) I was Facebook stalking with some of the bloggers (will NOT name names...but you guys know who you are!) and I ran across an interesting profile.....

The guy in said profile looked really familiar, but I just couldn't seem to place him. It wasn't until I opened up his profile that I recognized that he was someone who I went to Middle School and High School with, even though he was one year before me. Well let me tell you, this guy had lost at least 50 to 60 lbs. and he looked AMAZING! No wonder I didn't immediately recognize him, he looked like a completely different person.

Anywho, that wasn't even the biggest shocker.....that one came when, upon closer inspection, I realized that he put in his profile that he was interested in men.

WHAT?!?!!? You mean your gay?

Sure enough, when i looked at his relationship stats...it said that he was single and looking for a relationship...with a guy.

And get this....... he moved to NYC for his job.

So, I am undecided on whether this is a good thing or not. My cynical side is telling me that this has the potential to turn into a very, very bad situation. For instance, what if he sees me in some gay venue in the city, recognizes me...and then goes and says to a mutual friend, "guess who i saw at such and such a place last night." One person talks to another and then poof...I'm outed. Of course this might be me just being really really paranoid, but what person in the closet isn't? Of course there is a chance I will never run into him, I mean NYC is a big city, but we have many of the same mutual friends....so i dunno.

More things to think about I suppose. I mean, I really didn't expect to go to the city and be totally anonymous but I didn't really plan for a development like this. Time will tell.

Anyways.....moral of the story: Facebook is a useful tool for finding out things that you've never known about a person.

4 comments:

Matt in Argyle said...

First off, facebook is so like crack. I have to force myself not to go on it otherwise I waste so much time, especially when I have papers due or exams.

As for NY, I woudn't worry. There are what, 8 million people in the city so really what are the odds.

Plus even by chance if you do run into him, and he does recognize you, and he does tell people back home, you can always use the 'oh we got lost' excuse! Or you try to pre-empt the whole situation and meet with the guy first. Still, 8 million people.

Mike said...

I think you'll be fine since there are millions in NYC.

J.R. said...

It really would be a huge coincidence to find yourself in the same place at the same time in NYC as this boy from back home. But, it is possible and you should have an course of action in place, just in case.

True story: A high school friend of mine ran into an acquaintance of ours on a NYC subway car... with his mathematician professor boyfriend. I did not make that up to scare you!

Nothing Golden Stays

K said...

Well it did, thanks buddy! LOL.