Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Did Something Kinda Drastic This Morning

For whatever reason I woke up this morning, logged onto my Facebook account and said......

F-U-C-K T-H-I-S!!!

I dunno if I have explicitly mentioned this on the blog, but I have always been listen on Facebook as being "Interested In Women"

LIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, you have to understand that I set up that account the summer after my freshman year at UF (so over 4 years ago). At that time, even though I knew I was gay, I wasn't in a place to accept it and I really thought that perhaps I would meet a really cool/hot chick while at college and everything would change......

Well, we all know that doesn't happen LOL!

Anyways, the reason why I never changed my orientation on Facebook was because I have A BUNCH of cousin/godbrothers/godsisters on there and I really didn't want my family finding out that way for obvious reasons. This was also way before the advent of the hyper-convoluted privacy settings that FB now has...so I didn't have the option of hiding some stuff from some people and revealing some stuff to others.

I figured that any change in the "Interested in Women" field, even if I left it blank, would totally spark some intense scrutiny....so I've basically left my profile dormant since late 2004.......

NOT ANYMORE!

Those of you who are Facebook friends with me will recognize what I did if you check my profile. Now, I didn't come out or anything...I didn't put that I am interested in men...but I think I made enough changes to it now so that it isn't a complete lie/misrepresentation of me.

Baby Steps!

9 comments:

jay said...

Ah bb, so proud of you lol. I don't think anyone will even notice. And yes, those facebook privacy settings are hella messy nowadays.

B said...

Good for you K!

S said...

If you wanted drastic, you would've put something like 'intersted in dogs' or something.

Mike said...

Congratulations! Honestly, that's a step... I think I'll do the same. I removed the orientation section on my myspace, so facebook seems to be the next step.

dit said...

Congratulations, good for you. Everything at your own pace. You know when you are ready.

Anonymous Blogger said...

wow, I did the same exact thing recently! I just left it blank, but i cant change it to interested in men becasue I have tons of family on my facebook too.....for sure man, baby steps.

JUSTIN said...

[claps]

Pete said...

Congrats man! Welcome to the realm of the obviously closeted. ;-)

C u next week!

Anonymous said...

Congrats K! It seems like nothing, but some progress is better than nothing at all.